These cupcakes not only look beautiful, but they tasted just as amazing! We have been on a ginger kick recently, putting it in just about everything–from smoothies to homemade tea. When we found this recipe, we knew we had to give it a try. The blend of citrus with the spice of the ginger made for a perfect cake base and I can’t even put into words how delicious the honey chocolate frosting was! Like our last recipe, we found this one online and then tweaked it to work for us!
Here is the recipe! We hope you enjoy ☺
- 2 cups of one for one GF all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 stick softened butter
- 1 1/4 cups turbinado sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp. finely grated citrus zest (save the fruits for the brûlée topping)
- 2 cups semi sweet- or dark chocolate
- ½ stick of cream cheese, at room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 4-5 tbsp. fluid honey
- 1 orange
- 1 clementine
- 3 tbsp. turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 f. Grease or line your cupcake tin.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla powder until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture, sour cream, zest and ginger to the butter mixture and stir until batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake in the lower part of the oven for 12-15 minutes or until cupcake tester comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Coarsely chop the chocolate, then melt it and let it cool for a few minutes until lukewarm.
- Beat the cream cheese, honey and salt until smooth, then add the melted chocolate and beat until smooth again. If the cream cheese is too cold, the mixture might harden quickly. If it does, carefully heat the mixture in a pan so a small part of the chocolate melts, then beat smooth and creamy again.
- Preheat your oven on Broil (500F).
- Slice the fruit and cut away the remaining peel and pith from each slice. Pat dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle sugar on top.
- Place fruit on a cookie sheet and into the oven until the sugar caramelizes or bubbles and brown (about 10 minutes).
- Remove & let cool for a minute, then place brûleed slices on cupcakes!
Voilà ! Delicious and unique cupcakes to share with friends & family ☺